Respiratory therapists care for patients who have trouble breathing. Patients can range from premature infants to the elderly who have a chronic respiratory disease, such as asthma or emphysema. Respiratory therapists also provide emergency care to patients suffering from drowning, hear attacks, or shock.
Respiratory therapists can be expected to interview and examine patients, consult with physicians to develop treatment plans, perform diagnostic tests, treat patients using a variety of methods, monitor progress, and educate patients how to use treatments. They evaluate patients lung capacity, perform chest physiotherapy to remove mucus, and connect patients who cannot breathe on their own to ventilators. Most respiratory therapists work in hospitals, but there are opportunities to work in nursing care facilities or travel to patients’ homes.
Find Accredited Respiratory Therapist Schools in Atlanta
Respiratory therapists must have an associate’s degree, but most employers prefer applicants who have a bachelor’s degree. Respiratory therapy programs usually include classes in human anatomy and physiology, chemistry, physics, microbiology, pharmacology, and mathematics. Industry specific classes include learning about therapeutic and diagnostic procedures and tests, equipment, patient assessment, and CPR.
How to get Certified in Atlanta
The National Board for Respiratory Care offers two levels of certification: Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) and Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT). The Certified Respiratory Therapist is the first-level certification. To become certified, applicants must have earned an associate’s degree from an accredited respiratory therapy program or completed the equivalent coursework in a bachelor’s degree program and pass and exam. The Registered Respiratory Therapist certification is the next level certification. Applicants must have a CRT certification, meet additional education or experience requirements, and pass an exam.
All respiratory therapists must be licensed in the state of Georgia. The Georgia Composite Medical Board issues all state licenses. To receive an initial license, applicants must pay a fee, provide proof of education, provide references either from an education program or prospective employer, and provide a verification of National Board for Respiratory Care certification. To renew a licenses, a fee plus continuing education is required.
Salaries for Respiratory Therapists in AtlantaThe Bureau of Labor Statistics reports an annual mean wage for respiratory therapists in Georgia of $51,970 and an hourly mean wage of $24.98. The metro-Atlanta area employs the greatest density of respiratory therapists in the state and reports an annual mean wage of $53,310.
There are only two schools in the Atlanta metro area that offer classes in respiratory therapy: Georgia State University and Gwinnett Technical College.
The respiratory therapy program at Georgia State University requires an exam for entrance into the program. The school offers a bachelor of science program and also a program designed to bridge the gap between an associate’s degree and a bachelor’s degree. Graduates of this program have achieved a 100% pass rate for RRT certification.
Gwinnett Technical College offers an associate’s degree in respiratory care. This two year program provides the educational requirements for applicants to apply for an RRT certification.
- Respiratory Therapy
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Therapeutic Massage
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The Salon & Spa industry offers you the personal freedom and financial rewards you deserve! You could not have chosen a better time to follow your passion. Health and Style Institute will help you develop the skills you need to be successful in this magnificent industry. Our up to the minute, interactive training will help you reach beyond your limits.
- Certificate-Skin Care Therapy
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Respiratory Therapy Campuses in Georgia
|Georgia State University||Atlanta, Georgia, USA||website|
|Columbus Technical College||Columbus, Georgia, United States||website|
|Darton College||Albany, Georgia, United States||website|
|Augusta Technical College||Augusta, Georgia, United States||website|
|Heart of Georgia Technical College||Augusta, Georgia, United States||website|
|Macon State College||Macon, Georgia, United States||website|