Find Accredited Respiratory Therapist Schools in IllinoisOnce you’ve decided to pursue a career as a respiratory therapist (RT), the first thing you need to do is find an accredited respiratory therapist school. This is important because the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Development requires that RTs complete a formal training program from an accredited school. The main accrediting agency for RTs is the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC). According to the CoARC, there are about 14 CoARC-accredited respiratory schools in Illinois.
Respiratory therapist programs include medical classes and practical education in medical facilities to provide hands-on training. Upon completion of the training, students are prepared to take a certification exam.
How to get Certified in IllinoisIn addition to completing an accredited program, Illinois requires that candidates pass a national certification exam through the National Board for Respiratory Care. This is also a requirement for licensure. Illinois is one of 42 states that require their RTs be licensed.
Salaries for Respiratory Therapists in IllinoisThe BLS reports that respiratory therapists in Illinois earned a mean annual wage of $55,250 as of May 2013. This figure is slightly less than $57,880, which was the national average for RTs during that year. Salaries may vary according to location. Respiratory therapists in Peoria earned about $51,392 while those working in Chicago earned $59,194, as of a Salary.com July 2014 report. Other factors that can affect earning potential include level of training and years of experience on the job.
Matching School Ads
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate's
- Highly interactive online courses designed to maximize the learning experience
- Programs in Early Childhood Ed, School Admin, Special Ed, Teacher Leadership & More
- Associate's, Bachelor's, and Master's programs designed for working adults
- Complete your degree from start to finish or transfer your credits from another institution
- A.S. Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
Respiratory Therapy Campuses in Illinois
|Rock Valley College||Rockford, Illinois, USA||website|
|Moraine Valley Community College||Palos Hills, Illinois, United States||website|
|Malcolm X College||Chicago, Illinois, United States||website|
|Parkland College||Champaign, Illinois, United States||website|
|Illinois Central College||Peoria, Illinois, United States||website|
|College of Du Page||Glen Ellyn, Illinois, United States||website|
|Kankakee Community College||Kankakee, Illinois, United States||website|
|Rush University Medical Center||Chicago, Illinois, United States||website|